Child Solicitors

Spotlight on Special Guardianship Orders

What are Special Guardianship Orders? Special Guardianship Orders (SGOs) appoints one or more individuals...

Back to News and Events

Spotlight on Special Guardianship Orders

26th March 2018

News : Divorce & Family

What are Special Guardianship Orders?

Special Guardianship Orders (SGOs) appoints one or more individuals to be a child’s ‘Special Guardian’. This will give the Special Guardian ‘Parental Responsibility’. They are entitled to exercise this to the exclusion of any other person with Parental Responsibility. An SGO provides permanence, without the legal separation of the child and birth parents, which is involved when a child is adopted.

The Special Guardian will have responsibility for any day to day decision making relating to the child and their upbringing. They will also be able to ‘override’ the decisions made by any other person who has Parental Responsibility.

Who can apply for an SGO?

In order to apply for an SGO you must be over the age of 18. You cannot be the parent of the child it is concerning. The court will assess whether the SGO is in the best interests of the child. If you wish to apply for an SGO you must give at least 3 months written notice to the Local Authority. The Local Authority can then determine whether you are a viable long term care provider for the child and what support services should be provided. The service includes counselling, advice and financial support. Any financial support can be used to facilitate someone becoming a Special Guardian, or help towards the continuation of the order by providing a weekly allowance for the benefit of the child.

Why an SGO?

Children under an SGO can remain in touch with their birth family. This order is useful for children who may not be suitable for adoption, for instance, due to their age, but who would still benefit from a stable placement with a long term Guardian.

It also provides the Special Guardian with ‘enhanced’ Parental Responsibility. This ensures that where there is any conflict between the holders of Parental Responsibility, the Special Guardian can make the final decision in the best interests of the child.

Our experienced Family Solicitors are on hand should you or someone you know require assistance obtaining an SGO.

We have Family Solicitors at all of our offices across the UK. You can arrange an appointment by completing this form. Alternatively, you can visit our Divorce and Family services page here.


Issue 4 of Poole Alcock Insight is here! Grab a coffee and enjoy Augusts edition of our free Emagazine.

Posted 18th August 2020


Weve had a 5* review from Ian: Kate Heath and team - once again, amazing

Posted 29th July 2020

arrow-down-white arrow-left-white arrow-right-white arrow-right call cloudicon_laptop_add icon_purchase_new icon_purchase_standard icon_quill icon_remortgage icon_sale_purchase icon_sale icon_tick phone-call search settlement-icon skull social_facebook social_instagram social_linkedin social_pinterest logo-twitter-glyph-32 social_youtube speedo stars tail-right (1)Created with Sketch. tail_right tick_circle_green tick_circle wave-smaller Mask