Once you have confirmed that you want us to act for you on a ‘no win no fee’ basis, we can start your claim. The claims process will usually be as follows:
1. We normally request a lot of information from various different organisations first, to collect all the evidence required. This can include:-
2. At the same time, we will prepare a witness statement for you, detailing everything you can remember about your exposure to asbestos along with details about your symptoms and diagnosis. This statement will be your opportunity to evidence how you believe you were exposed to asbestos. At Poole Alcock, we understand that this can be quite a daunting task. We will therefore we will meet with you to help. In light of our experience with working on claims of this nature, our specialist Solicitors will be able to ask relevant questions to help jog your memory. You may not think that you can remember much, however we can often capture a lot of useful information once we get chatting.
3. We will research the potential Defendants and identify their Employer Liability Insurers. Even if the company has ceased trading, it isn’t a problem. We have many different research tools available to us to locate historic company EL insurers.
4. We will send out a Letter of Claim to the Defendant. This letter will launch the claim and prompt the Defendant to investigate whether they negligently exposed you to asbestos. Usually the Defendant has 21 days to acknowledge receipt of this letter. They will have 3 months from that date to provide their view on whether or not they believe they have acted negligently. With Mesothelioma claims, in light of the prognosis, we do not have to keep to these timescales.
5. We will also instruct an independent Consultant Chest Physician to prepare a medical report. The expert will review all of your records and confirm your diagnosis within the report. He or she will also deal with some very sensitive issues such as prognosis, life expectancy, treatment options and the risk of developing any other asbestos related condition.
6. Once we have medical evidence and an identified Defendant to claim against, if they have not admitted negligently exposing you to asbestos, we can consider issuing your claim at Court to let a Judge decide. Before we do this, we normally obtain a Barrister’s opinion on the merits of your claim. We will also ask the Barrister to prepare the formal documentation needed for issuing at Court.
7. With mesothelioma claims, the fast track procedure mentioned above allows us to issue a claim at Court much sooner. We do not necessarily need to wait for the Defendant to provide us with their view on whether or not they have negligently exposed you to asbestos. As soon as we have your witness statement and medical evidence we can issue your claim at Court if appropriate. The Court will then set a ‘Show Cause’ Hearing where the Defendant is required to show with evidence that they are able to potentially defend the claim. If not, the Court will enter Judgment in your favour. This means that your claim will be successful subject to confirming with medical evidence that your diagnosis has been caused by the Defendant’s exposure (if not already). The Court will Order the Defendant to pay you £50,000.00 by way of interim payment. This will normally be within 14 days of the Show Cause Hearing. The Court will then set Directions for the remainder of the claim. These Directions are a timetable for certain administrative tasks to be completed by; so that the Court can assess the total value of your Claim at a final Hearing if needs be. Normally speaking, most cases settle before this final Hearing because the Parties can negotiate a final settlement outside of Court.
8. For any case other than mesothelioma, once the claim is issued at Court, the Court will normally set the Directions (Timetable) to Trial in the same way. The only real difference is that there is no Show Cause Hearing.
Whilst this gives you an overview of the average claim, some claims are more complex. Further evidence may be needed from Radiologists, Engineers, and Nurses to discuss care options and fibre count analysis amongst other things.
Equally however, some claims can be settled without the need for issuing Court proceedings.
In light of the complicated nature of this type of claim and the amount of evidence needed, most claims can take anywhere between 18 months – 2 years to settle. Some can even take 3 years before settlement is reached.
However it should be noted that most claims for asbestos related claims are high value. Typically they range anywhere from £15,000.00 to £250,000.00.
We are always happy to discuss your case either in person or over the telephone. Our expert asbestos claims solicitors are specialists in these type of claims. We will ensure that you get penny of compensation that you deserve. Call us today on 0800 389 7093 to arrange a FREE initial consultation. Alternatively fill out our enquiry form and we will arrange to call you back.
Specialising in all areas of law across the UK, we offer a modern service with traditional values, giving you the complete legal service whenever you need us.
We believe our clients deserve to receive the highest possible standard of customer care and legal advice. Our lawyers and support teams are highly skilled professionals. We also have a passion for delivering excellent service which focuses on our clients’ individual needs and circumstances.
We regularly ask our clients for feedback and how we could make our service even better, to make sure that we get it right every time. Consequently nothing is left to chance and we take nothing for granted. For these reasons, we make a simple but important promise to our clients: The Committed to Excellence Promise.
Anna qualified as a Solicitor in 2007 and has been specialising in personal injury claims since 2004. She joined Poole Alcock in 2010, becoming partner in January 2016. She is an APIL Senior Litigator and is accredited by the Law Society as a Specialist Personal Injury Solicitor
Anna has built a reputation as a specialist asbestos claims Solicitor helping individuals who have been diagnosed with an asbestos related illness and their families to recover compensation. As an expert in this area she provides guidance and reassurance at a time when they are experiencing extreme confusion and anxiety over their options.
As well as asbestos claims, Anna also has extensive experience in dealing with serious injury claims and fatal accidents. Her ability to listen to her Clients and show genuine care are key to building solid relationships with all of her Clients.
Anna is also responsible for the firms Community and Social Responsibility Policy and actively organizes events both internally and externally to ensure that the firm plays an active role in our local community. Some examples of this work include assisting the Cheshire East Rangers with building footpaths and coppicing areas of woodland on a weekend, climbing Snowdon in aid of St Lukes Hospice (Cheshire)
As partner in our personal injury department Anna’s goal is to continue recovering compensation for clients who have suffered injury or illness as a result of someone else’s negligence.Contact Me
Georgina is a Solicitor within the Personal Injury department.
Georgina has previously specialised in winning cases other firms had given up on. She qualified as a Solicitor in March 2005 and has over 16 years experience dealing with many types of litigation and in particular personal injury claims arising from accidents at work, stress at work, vibration white finger, RSI, public liability claims, holiday illness, road traffic accident claims and a particularly memorable case involving a rogue cow!
When not at work Georgina enjoys ballroom dancing, watching motorsports, cycling and spending time with her husband and young son.Contact Me
5 Star service. I would highly reccommend Anna Burns.
Poole Alcock were my first choice of solicitors and throughout my claim from start to finish Anna Burns was so supportive to me. She showed me a great deal of empathy due to the nature of my claim. I feel we built an excellent professional relationship and Anna was always available to speak to if I needed to ask any questions. On the rare occasions that I could not reach Anna, all of the supporting staff at Poole Alcock were equally supportive and helpful. The claim ran as smooth and as stress free as it possibly could and I was always well informed of any changes or upcoming appointments. I would highly recommend Poole Alcock.
Thank you for everything Anna. I literally could not have got through all of this without you and all your support.
5 Star service. I would highly reccommend Anna Burns.
I should like to thank you for your excellent service throughout the progress of my claim; you have been very personable and professional. More specifically, you very quickly got to grips with the detail of my accident, which allowed you to form a very accurate opinion of the eventual outcome. I appreciated not only your advice, but also your willingness to be guided by my objectives. The fact that the defendant made an offer so quickly, and at a level you had intimated to be a reasonable expectation at the outset, is testament to your expertise. Finally, your pleasant manner made the whole process painless and even enjoyable!
For all your kindness to us over the past 3 years (nearly) and we are very grateful for the settlement. Take care and thanks once again.
Thank you Andrew thanks for all your hard work and the team we really appreciate it.
Mrs Coppenhall handled our request professionally. Efficient with no unnecessary disruption to ourselves with an excellent result. Thank you!
A very big thank you and my appreciation and best wishes for all your hard work and dedication in my case for compensation.
Poole Alcock were the first solicitors I contacted when I was looking around and Anna Burns was the first person I spoke to. As soon as I had that initial contact with Anna I knew I had made th right choice. Anna’s calm, reassuring manner instantly put me at ease and she was just amazing throughout ther whole process. Anna met my late father on two occasions and dad was very impressed by her professionalism and friendly nature and it took a lot to impress dad!
Thank you Anna for everything you did for us!
Thank you for your hard work in reaching a settlement in the claim following the death of my late husband. The final sum far exceeded what I’d imagined it would be.
Again my thanks.
I just want to thank you sincerely for the excellent manner in which you dealt with my recent personal injury claim and to say and to say how surprised and pleased I was with the result.
Thank you again for your help and kindness.
Many thanks for all your help the past few months in finally settling my case. Your help and support has been much appreciated and I’m so glad it is now at an end.
It really does seem such a long time ago, that I first came to see you….its been such a long road!
Thank you just doesn’t seem enough for everything you have done and for the way you have treated me.
I thank you for always believing in me and for the empathic professional way that that you have dealt with everything. I always felt safe and had confidence in that everything you did was in my best interests.
It was like sharing all my worries except that for me, I didn’t have half the share because you took more than that guiding me through this whole process and for that I will be eternally grateful. Without a doubt I would recommend anyone in a similar position to come to you.
My late husband was really happy with the service you provided and I would like to thank you for making it easier for me after he passed away.
I would like to thank you most sincerely for the way you have sensitively handled every aspect of my case, particularly in light of the difficulty I encountered for the first few months.
I just wanted to say many thanks for everything you have done for Peter when he was alive.
And your kindness when Peter passed away.
Many Thanks for everything
Many thanks to Georgina Coppenhall for her prompt and efficient service.