Call us 0800 470 0331

Divorce & Family Law Solicitors

With offices throughout the country, Poole Alcock is one of the UK’s leading divorce and family law firms. Contact us today for your free initial consultation with our Family Law on-boarding specialists.

Divorce & Family Solicitors

We are a leading team of divorce and family solicitors based across the UK. Our services include specialist advice in divorce, separation, child custody and other family law issues. Our team of leading family lawyers is both highly regarded and consistently recommended by clients. Meet the team here.

We can offer an initial free consultation with one of our divorce lawyers and can provide you with a fixed price for your divorce case. Poole Alcock divorce and family lawyers have offices in Alsager, Birmingham, Chester, Congleton, London, Manchester, Nantwich, Northwich, Crewe, Sandbach and Wilmslow, and offer nationwide legal consultation.

If you would like a free initial consultation with our Family Law on-boarding specialists to discuss your options, please complete the contact form below or call us for free on 0800 470 0337.

Separation and Divorce Solicitors

We understand that relationship breakdowns can be a difficult, emotional and stressful time. Our team of divorce lawyers offer a complete service, with sensitivity and understanding at the forefront of everything we do.

We are proud to be chosen by Cheshire Police Federation as their nominated divorce lawyers to provide specialist divorce and family advice to its members. We offer a range of specialist separation and divorce services across the UK, as well as free consultations to explain your options and get to know your case.

Prenuptial Agreements

A prenuptial/pre-civil agreement usually sets out how the couple wishes their assets to be divided between them if they later separate or divorce. Although it is not legally binding, providing the courts are satisfied that the parties freely entered in to the agreement and in the circumstances it is fair to uphold the agreement, the parties should expect to be held to it upon separation.

Separation Agreements

A separation agreement is used when a couple want to stop living together. The agreement can decide a variety of topics including living arrangements, who will pay the mortgage, division of property, if any maintenance payments are to be made and arrangements in relation to any children.

Financial Separation

For many separating couples, finances can be the most difficult area to resolve. Our specialist separation lawyers can provide expert support and advise you on the merits of any offers. If an agreement is reached, our expert solicitors can formalise the agreement and protect against claims against inheritance. If an agreement can not be reached, it will be necessary to issue proceedings at court. We can advise on obtaining pension actuary reports, expert valuations of property or other assets, where to pitch an offer or provide advice on the offers received.

Fixed Fee Divorce

Get financial peace of mind with a Fixed Fee Divorce. We will be able to provide you with the figure at the outset, allowing you to budget in advance. Providing your divorce is undisputed and does not have any added complications, you can expect to pay around £1,500 plus VAT. The court fee is £593 and is payable by the applicant. Depending upon your financial circumstances you may qualify for a fee reduction, this is assessed by the court.

Read more about Fixed Fee Divorce here.

Civil Partnership Dissolution

Dissolving a civil partnership (after at least one year) is very similar to divorce – you will need to make an application to the court, pay a court fee of £593, and show the reasons for dissolution. Providing your partner agrees, you will receive a conditional order and can then, 6 weeks later, apply to the courts for a final order which legally ends the civil partnership.

Our Divorce & Family Law Services

See below for our other services:


See our most asked questions below:

If I Have Kids, How Is Custody Decided?

Parents should try to decide together what the living arrangements should be for children. If you can decide between yourselves, there is no need to take the matter to court. Under the Children Act 1989, the court will always rule that no order should be made unless it is in the best interests of the child, and will only intervene if absolutely necessary. This is often only required in more complex cases where there are safeguarding concerns.

Is Divorce Settlement Taxable Income?

In England and Wales the majority of settlements will not be taxable income, but circumstances do vary on a case by case basis. There may be other tax considerations you need to take into account, including issues of Income Tax, Inheritance Tax, Stamp Duty and Capital Gains Tax. Your solicitor will be able to advise on these.

When Divorced, How Is Property Divided?

After ascertaining the value of the property, you need to decide whether someone wants to keep it. Any person keeping property will need sufficient borrowing capacity for the existing mortgage and outgoings, and might need to ‘buy out’ the other person’s financial interest. In some cases, it is possible for the other party to retain a deferred interest in the property — this is usually so that dependent children can remain in the family home. In other cases it may be possible to offset the property’s equity against other assets such as a pension pot, savings and investments.

Often there are financial reasons that mean a 50/50 split of the equity in a property is not a ‘fair’ division. There may also be good reason to argue that a greater share of the equity in a property should be retained by one party over the other.

Often there are financial reasons that mean a 50/50 split of the equity in a property is not a ‘fair’ division. There may also be good reason to argue that a greater share of the equity in a property should be retained by one party over the other.

Does Divorce Revoke A Will?

No, your Will remains valid and it’s vital that you amend or update it when going through divorce. For the purposes of inheritance, the Will will treat your ex-partner as though they have died during the divorce proceedings, so you will need to update your beneficiaries to ensure any inheritance is divided as you wish.

Divorce: Where To Start?

Begin by consulting a solicitor; we offer a free initial consultation without obligation to begin the process. Once instructed, we will draft a divorce application on your behalf and file with the court. After your spouse responds to the application, 20 weeks after the date of issue you can apply for a conditional order and then 6 weeks later a final order finalising the divorce. It’s worth noting that this process is purely the divorce side of things – resolving finances is often an area of difficulty which requires expert legal advice.

Are Divorce Records Public?

Yes, but none of the fine details of a divorce are available to the public. The only thing on public record is the Decree Absolute, which just contains the parties’ names and the date of the proceedings.

What accreditations do you have?

Resolution Members
Our solicitors are all members of Resolution – a national organisation of family lawyers committed to non-confrontational divorce and separation.

Accredited Team
We are accredited by the Law Society and have members on the Advanced Family Panel of Solicitors.

Collaborative Lawyer
Richard Barratt – the head of the Divorce and Family Team – is also a qualified Collaborative Lawyer.

What does this mean? Well, under the collaborative process, each person appoints their own collaboratively trained lawyer and you and your respective lawyers all meet together to work things out face to face. Both of you will have your lawyer by your side throughout the process and so you will have their support and legal advice as you go.

Resolution Specialist Accredited Members
Amie Pine and Helen Stoller are also Specialist Accredited Members of Resolution in relation to finances and children matters.

How long does it take to get a divorce?

It will take at least 20 weeks from the date the divorce application is issued to the date of the conditional order (the first stage). It will take a minimum of a further 6 weeks before you can apply for the final order ending your marriage or civil partnership.

Often the divorce takes longer whilst the parties resolve the financial matters arising from their separation.

How much does a divorce cost?

In England and Wales, it currently costs £593 to pay the court.

We can offer a free consultation to discuss your reasons for divorce and offer fixed fees so we can continue to process your request. Throughout the entire process, our professional divorce and family law solicitors will support and represent you with our expert advice to achieve the very best outcome.

Child Custody And Child Law Solicitors

Our specialist team of family and childcare law solicitors, working across the UK, will offer you expert advice and support every step of the way.

We offer a free initial consultation and can provide you with a fixed price for your case.

Family Legal Services and Child Arrangements

At Poole Alcock, our experienced team of child law and family solicitors specialises in dealing with difficult child custody cases. We understand each dispute should be handled sensitively as this process can be highly emotional for those involved.

Negotiating custody (called child arrangements by the court) is a delicate subject which should be handled with the utmost care to achieve the best possible outcome for those involved. Our team of child law solicitors will be by your side, every step of the way, to outline your options and assist with the progression of your case.

Our services include:

Child Custody

Deciding child custody issues can be an extremely complex and emotionally challenging process. If an agreement cannot be reached, we can help to negotiate arrangements and, if necessary, we can prepare your case and provide representation at court.

Parental Responsibility

Most of the legal rights given to parents are by way of Parental Responsibility (PR). Mothers automatically receive PR, however an unmarried father may need to obtain this by law. We are here to advise you on your rights for parental responsibility and what you need to acquire.

Change of Surname

The outcome of your custody dispute could determine whether you decide to change your child’s surname, which will require permission from those who have parental responsibility. A deed poll is required to begin this process for children under 16. Our qualified team can assist with your application.

Change of Schools

Whether you are requesting a change of school for your child, wish to prevent this from happening or are in dispute over which school to choose, our team of child law specialists will help obtain a Specific Issue Order or a Prohibited Steps Order.

Child Abduction

When a child is removed from one of the parents without permission or a child is not returned at a pre-arranged time, it is important to act quickly to reinstate the child’s normal or pre-agreed routine.

Meet The Team

Arrange A Consultation

If you have a question about family law or divorce of if you would like to speak to our team, please complete the contact form below or call us for free. No matter where you live in England or Wales, consultations can take place in one of our local offices or, if you prefer, over the phone or via an online video/Zoom call. The consultation can be arranged at a time and date that is convenient for you and we always endeavour to work with the utmost sensitivity with regards to your personal circumstances.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

What people say about us

Poole Alcock helped me with an employment issue. They were compassionate and efficient. The advice I was given was very helpful and enabled me to move forward very quickly.

Related Insights

Read More Insights

Sign up to our newsletter

apply area-criminal area-divorce area-employment area-home area-motoring area-personal arrow_downarrow-left-long arrow_leftarrow-right-long-menu arrow-right-long arrow-right asbestos-claimsbenefits-health benefits-incentive £ benefits-nursery benefits-pension blueprintbottom-wave-180 bottom-wave buildingsbusiness-services calendarcertificationcharitychat checklist clockcommercial-propertyconveyancingcriminal-defencecrossdefencedisputesdivorce-family divorce documentsdownloaddrink-drivingeducationemail-altemail-outlineemail employmentevent-calendarfixed-fee-divorcefor-salegravelheartbeathero-wave home-searchhospitalhousehricon_laptop_add icon_purchase_new icon_purchase_standard icon_quill icon_remortgage icon_sale_purchase icon_sale icon_tick icon-feather-mail icon-user input-error input-upload input-valid job-descriptionlegal-aidlitigationmap-marker map-pinmoneypersonal-injurypersonal-services phone-primary phone play propertyremortgagesearch-primary searchseparationsocial-facebook social_googleplussocial_instagramsocial_linkedin_altsocial-linkedin social_pinterestlogo-twitter-glyph-32social_youtubesoldtenanttick_circle_green ticktoggle-cross traffic-accidenttreewill-probatewillwrite-a-will